Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Tis the season to be married

Introverted
I know of 5 of my work mates who are the brink of getting married. The youngest is a 25 year old chik and the oldest I approximate to be a 32 or 33 year old chik. I think marriege is a wonderful thin and I hope to one day to attain this high station in life. But I have two concerns about it at the moment. One, why does everybody seem to be getting into it at the same time. This is not a real problem its just an interesting coincidence.

Now the second issue has my knickers rolled up into a knot. Why are African men expected to buy diamond rings when they expression their interest in spending the rest of their lives with the same women. To never pursue a chik again and say No to all those nice yunguns who express an interest in them. Why do we take all the wrong aspects of western culture and adopt them to our culture. The eldest of the engagees showed me her engagement ring some time last week. It is apparently made of white gold (I am not convinced such a thing exists) and has a diamond (I cant say I have seen a diamond before). Looking at it I could see more crates of beer than all my buddies and I can drink in an year, a set of alloy rims and new tyres for a car, food to feed a sub location in North Eastern for a week, a holiday to Lamu, a considerable share of Kengen e.t.c Is an engagement ring not a total waste of money? What happens if the guy gets cold feet, can he go back and redeem this valuable item from the chik? Does it not put the poor chiks life at risk of mugging?

I bet my dad never even considered buying an engagement ring and yet he has been married, happily I hope, for nearly 30 years. A good marriege an engagement ring does not make. Engagement rings are a western concept and have no place in our society. Unless we argue that they increase the diversity of our economy and put us one step closer to attaining a 7% annual growth in GDP.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bee said...

For me if my guy can afford a good engagment ring why not? if he can't its good too, I won't die just because I am wearing cubic zirconia (but I'll be sure that he will afford to buy me a major ring for the 10 year anniversary)

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:53:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Wangu - I can see how a guy can get cold feet, seeing as there's always a more beautiful woman out there.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:55:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Indeed marriage isn't all about beauty. Marriage is a choice. A decision. I just imagine the sight of another beautiful woman/women would put your decision in perspective. As you can tell, I'm not a really good candidate for marriage right now.

Friday, April 28, 2006 8:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home