Monday, May 30, 2011

Married bliss

I was having a talk with a sales executive the other day. One of the rare occassions where I was actually interested in buying the product on offer. So she's there telling me about the wonderful features of this particular product and I'm there trying to get all manner of thoughts out of my head. She had an attractive body, what can I say. At some point, as she's gesturing back and forth, I get a glimpse of her wedding finger, and a nice specimen of a wedding band. I tend to be a bit paranoid when talking to married women. Thoughts of hitmen waiting for me round the corner, or being struck by lightning inexplicably come to mind. Not that I would do anything anyway. I'm a spent force when it comes to chatting up women.

All the same, it would be nice to have some rules of engagement. A little green book like the one Gaddafi was reading from during one of those crazy tirades. If x, then y. Am I allowed to ask for her number. Which I don't do anymore anyway. Can we have juice after this. Which I don't have the guts to do. The more general question is where the line is. And if I'm sitting here thinking all these things, there are certainly guys who have done better than just pose hypothetical questions to themselves. What does she do with those guys. And the husband, poor guy. What goes on in his head.

Everywhere I turn, people are getting married. Or making plans to get married. Which is a good thing. Until people don't get along anymore then kids have to grapple with concepts like why daddy lives somewhere else. I saw one of those signs by wagangas that had as it's first cure "shida za boma". Not cancer, diabetes or the promise of big bums. There must be a lot of demand for this cure in particular. There's one guy I was in school with who swore that if he were to get reincarnated, he would not marry. This with his wife of one year sitting 10 meters away. I didn't ask for details but I figured he was an outlier. Not the norm in any way.

I've always thought that being hitched should be like living with your siblings. I keep saying as much even though I've been assured that it isn't and can't be. I still don't get why not. Perhaps my lack of a romantic bone, or gene or both prevents me from getting it. Perhaps if I met someone with similar deficiencies we could make a go at this marriage thing. Become friends with benefits. Imagine that.

1 Comments:

Blogger matejivu said...

i am getting married.
or am i already?

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home