Sunday, December 28, 2008

Now

We seem to be living in a now society. Everything is needed urgently. ASAP. Now.

I'm obviously not too thrilled about this kind of thing. Not surprising considering my epic propensity for procrastination. And I'm not too sure life lived at consistently high speed is a good thing. I actually think we're worse off. Living lower quality lives, in some ways at least, than our predecessors. Everyone is stressed and irritated and fatigued and frustrated. No wonder you don't see "Hakuna matata" too much anymore. Too many matatas more like. "No hurry in Africa" is so '80s. Although the bone doctor assures me the guys in Kampala are still holding firmly onto this motto. I should really visit the place.

I always was a patient guy. Never hyper or anything. Did most things quite slowly. Come to think of it, the term lazy was often used in certain circles. Perhaps that's the real explanation. I do envy guys who can do stuff chap chap. Like this guy at the office who could churn out an exe in an hour. With functionality and a beautiful interface and everything. I on the other hand would spend days thinking about it all, days drawing stuff up in an exercise book, still more typing up the code, and a couple of weeks down the road you would have an exe. Only uglier. If I had that kind of productivity. If I had a mind that works at that kind of speed... Well, I don't. So I became more philosophical. When a guy tells me to come back after one week, I don't hassle the guy or demand a sooner date. I know I could be that guy. If it'll take a week to sort out so be it. I'd better find other things to occupy my mind in the meantime. And if he is in a situation like I was in, he probably has enough guys breathing down his neck already about getting this thing or the other done today. He doesn't need me adding to that.

So when I'm stuck in traffic, I meditate. Not out of frustration. There's quiet time right there. It'd probably be very different if I had a car. I'd probably go completely insane in that instance. But the idea is to generally take it easy. No need to get too worked up by the queue. Or get into too much of a frenzy doing this and the other. It's not too healthy I don't think. And it likely won't be the end of the world if it doesn't happen right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rafiki said...

Excellent attitude, very healthy! Many people wish they could be more like you and experience less stress. Do you think it is in your genes or is it related to the way you were brought up?

Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I've never really thought about that; but if I had to choose, it'll likely not be genes. Besides. A lot of things come down to choice.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home