Wednesday, October 15, 2008

HELB free

So I was thinking about liabilities I have, and how it would be a good idea to clear them. I only remembered it cause of looking at some payslip. I did the mental adjustment that comes with the anticipation of forking out a substantial amount of money. It's not like I've been keeping tabs with how my repayment has been going but I was loaned a significant amount of money during my college years. And I'm probably the only one who got HELB money who didn't graduate with a TV, DVD and music system. Not sure where all that money went to actually since I didn't buy a single thing. Not a one. And it's not like I used eat ugali kuku everyday, or drink like mad. And I used to get cash every week from the folks. How did other guys afford everything. Where did all of my money go.

Anyway. I checked out their website to confirm how much I owed but there was a bug of some sort. My login was invalid apparently. So I had to arrange a trip to their offices. I get directed to some guy who prints out a statement for me. "And why did the website not acknowledge me?", I ask as an aside. Aah. That. The server has a problem. I empathize. I think servers get unfairly blamed for a whole load of things. Ultimate scapegoat. Can't defend itself. Turn to page 2 to see what my balance is. Glee. Yes. An odd 300 bob. Could hardly believe it. Would have jumped out of the seat and done the dance of joy right there. I guess small amounts over a period of time do make a difference. It's one of those things you don't think about. Just another deduction in the payslip. No more. I'm HELB free.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! I envy you seeing as I started repaying a while ago then stopped. May be I should resume.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:55:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Well, an employer is required by law to make the deductions so most of us didn't have a choice. We paid by default as it were. And apparently students in private unis who get loans have all the cash going to tuition. No buying of electronic equipment for them. :-[

Friday, October 24, 2008 2:32:00 PM  
Blogger symo said...

Congrats....I am still in the 100K range and this is going to be so for quite some time...after repaying consistently for 2 years. this sucks. as much as i hate debt this one is gonna be around for quite some time.

Friday, November 07, 2008 4:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home