Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Why own a car

I have just walked from westi to K street. Yes. I work in the red light district. Anyway. The sight of a guy getting into a mat through the window, and the enormous jam convinced me that I didn't have too far to walk. As it is, I probably got to my destination faster than those on the road. At some point, I was making better progress than some wailing ambulance slightly ahead of me.

I don't know how guys do it. I wouldn't survive the stress of driving in Nairobi and other associated hazards like finding parking. This is one of the reasons I don't own a car. One other being the fact that I can't afford one. Apart from the exercise that walking affords you, there are small things you need not worry about. Such as that guy cutting you off. I like the idea that I can get into a mat and go off to sleep, walking up just before my stage, oblivious to the hussles of the journey and without the constant pumping action of a leg on a clutch. Of course not having a car means that I am limited in as far as movement around town is concerned. I just hear about the club scene in westlands. I can't even afford doing the cab thing to and from those sides. So I stick closer home, or the CBD. Definitely no out of town ventures.

I wouldn't take this much further and suggest an Amish lifestyle, but a little walking is a good thing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to the office at 9 a.m. today morning. I took 2 hours to cover 10kms . when I was in High school I could do a 12Km cross country in just under an hour. Two years ago I took around 1hr 15 mins to do an 8km dettol heart run.

But let it rain. I am willing to wake up earlier.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 9:49:00 AM  
Blogger Girl in the Meadow said...

I have every desire to own a car. I HATE JAVIN

Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:17:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

A street car named desire.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home