Friday, September 09, 2005

mind travel

For me, there is nothing normal about pursuing a woman. On the few occasions I have done it, I have had to use some drastic measures, tap in on some will power and strength that I know is there but is very evasive.

I like yarns. They work wonders. I tell them because it is easier for me to imagine things. I have been many "things" in my life. At one time, I was a veterinary doctor in Maralal. Aaaaaahaa! The chic went. Of course an animal doctor's life is not very interesting, so I now tell her how the Samburu exchange wives by merely planting a spear on the doorway (I am sure you have all heard that one). The samburu even offered me a 'concubine'!
Eyes open wide in shock. Just what I anticipated. I am in high gear.

First, she does not believe me. Says I hardly look like a vet. I don a most serious face, stroke my beard, add bass to my voice and go an octave lower. I drop a few things I have learnt from watching my old man rearing his cows. A few hints here and there about UoN, Lower Kabete,...she buys it.

She is entranced. The questions are not stopping. She now wants to know whether I took the concubine, what happened after that etc. Three hours of pure lies. I am getting such a rush.
I have been other things too. Makanga, drop-out, divorced ........

Now that is not normal. Just transforming from my usual boring self to something else, gives me a lot of thrill. Of course, after delivering such a discourse, it is not possible to follow up. I just throw her number and move on. But I am usually happy to engage a lady in conversation for a short time.

After all, the real relationship thing is scary.