Wednesday, January 06, 2010

aJamaa goes a walking - Day 1

We left Nairobi at around 9am. There were 13 of us. I did not know anyone in the group and was trying not to get into a panic about the fact that I would be spending the next six days with a group of strangers. I carried a book and an iPod just in case I could not find anything in common with the rest of the group.

The drive from Nairobi to Emali was nothing to write home about. The drive from Emali to Loitoktok was a different story all together. The Chinese have been working on the road so the first 50 or 60kms were really good and the fact there were no other cars on the road made the trip even better.

The fun and games started when we got to a little shopping centre called Kinama. There were many vehicles parked by the roadside and when we got close a guy by the roadside warned us that the road ahead was flooded. We stopped. A few minutes later water started coming down the road. It was a strange site especially since it was not raining. Less than five minutes later the road had turned into a river. I have now experienced flash floods.



Later the water reduced and we set off again. We did not get too far. The Chinese had dug out the road further down and after the rain, the road had become unpassable. Even Land cruisers and Range rovers could not get through. We went back to the small town and spent the night in a lodging that did not have self contained rooms. My room was so filthy the only thing I took off to get into bed was my shoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home